Friday, March 20, 2009

Dyeing Wool with Easter Egg Dye

With homework for my college class behind me(yah!) I decided to relax and have fun this afternoon. Hannah and I decided to use Easter Egg dye to color some of the Lincoln wool given to me by Penny Dodds. The ultimate goal is to create an Easter basket filled with brightly colored felted eggs.

I use the Easter Egg dye regularly at grade school workshops as it is relatively inexpensive (4/$1 after Easter), safe and it works well in warm water. However I rarely get a chance to play with it at home on my own time. It was very fun... I feel five again.
The process is exetremely simple.
1. Pour warm/hot water in a disposable container.
2. Add a couple of teaspoons of white vinigar to the water.
3. Add 2-4 color tablets (use the same color together) to the warm water.
4. Place clean dry wool in the container for a few minutes to soak up the dye.
5. Remove from dye and place in a safe area to dry.

Today I used the basic food colors to stretch out my dye and make the colors more vivid. It was a blast!!! The Lincoln wool took the Easter Egg dye exetremely well!
If you have questions, ideas for a project, or would just like to comment, please feel free to email me at ktjones@crestviewcable.com.
Kris Jones
Kristie Lincolns, Montadales, Romeldales, and NCWGA registered Natural Colored Sheep
Prineville, Oregon















No comments:

Post a Comment